Last Updated on 5 June 2023, 1:13 PM IST | The UN Environment Programme (UNEP) commemorates every year the programs for World Environment Day. It promotes awareness and action for the protection of the environment by more than 130 countries. It marks the day of the Stockholm Conference which led to the designation of 5 June as World Environment Day.
Its theme in the year 2023 is “Solutions to Plastic Pollution” and the hosting country is Côte d’Ivoire in partnership with the Netherlands. The readers would also know that Supreme God Kabir Saheb has said Satyug-like atmosphere will arrive in Kalyug (the present Iron Age) under the leadership of JagatGuru Sant Rampal Ji Maharaj.
5 June World Environment Day 2023 Highlights
- World Environment Day is celebrated on the 5th of June every year
- World Environment Day is to generate awareness on environmental issues and sustainable environmental development among people all around the globe
- The 2023 marks 51 years since Stockholm Conference which declared 5 June as World Environment Day
- World Environment Day 2023 will be hosted by Sweden in partnership with the UN Environment Programme (UNEP)
- The theme of WED 2023 is “Solutions to Plastic Pollution”
- Soon Satyug (Golden Age) will arrive under the leadership of JagatGuru Sant Rampal Ji Maharaj
What Is the World Environment Day Date?
The UN Environment Programme (UNEP) observes annually the programs for World Environment Day to highlight the awareness and action for the protection of the environment. It is observed on 5 June in more than 130 countries globally. Theme in the year 2023 is “Solutions to Plastic Pollution” under the campaign #BeatPlasticPollution and its hosting country is Côte d’Ivoire in partnership with the Netherlands.
World Environment Day and Its History
World Environment Day is celebrated to generate awareness on environmental issues and sustainable environmental development among people all around the globe. It is celebrated on the 5th of June every year as Environmental Awareness Day.
June 5 is #WorldEnvironmentDay, its theme #OnlyOneEarth calls for global, collective, transformative action to celebrate, protect and restore our planet. Earth is in emergency mode and needs to go from harming to healing the planet.#EarthDay— SA News Channel (@SatlokChannel) June 1, 2022
Read More: https://t.co/oJwNbQMdxb pic.twitter.com/f3LwNytbHW
It was established by the United Nations in the year 1972 but was first held later in 1974, which shows that the world is trying to save the environment for decades now. Over the time millions of people from around 143 countries have started participating in the celebration.
World Environment Day (WED) 2023 Theme: Solutions to Plastic Pollution
World Environment Day 2023’s Theme is “Solutions to Plastic Pollution,” The theme focuses upon the need to live sustainably in harmony with nature by bringing transformative changes by modifying policies and the choices for a cleaner and greener lifestyle. And without reducing plastic pollution one cannot achieve sustainable development.
United Nations About Ending Plastic Pollution
According to United Nations the Earth faces a triple planetary challenges.
- the climate change caused the temperature to rise too high to quickly adapt by people and natlple;
- An estimated 1 million species are threatened with extinction due to habitat loss and other pressures;
- pollution is highest to poison our air, land and water.
The solution to the challenges is to align the economies and societies inclusive, fair and better connected with nature. The planet can not be harmed any more but it is to heal. For doing so, the available solutions and the technology should be used extensively. #BeatPlasticPollution is the campaign for World Environment Day 2023. The social responsibility is the need of hour for collective, transformative action on a global scale to protect and restore the planet Earth. By ensuring the minimisation of plastic we can ensure its restoration.
World Environment Day 2023 Hosted by Côte d’Ivoire
On 5 June, every year, World Environment Day is celebrated by the United Nations’ for creating awareness and action for the environment worldwide. It has become the largest global platform for environmental public outreach and is commemorated by millions of people globally.
- Jean-Luc Assi, Côte d’Ivoire’s Minister for the Environment and Sustainable Development said “The scourge of plastic pollution is a visible threat that impacts every community.” He further added “We are proud to champion diverse treatments for the plastic pandemic.”
- Vivianne Heijnen, Netherlands’ Minister for the Environment. said “Plastic pollution and its detrimental impacts on health, the economy and the environment cannot be ignored. Urgent action is required. At the same time, we need true, effective and robust solutions.”
- The minister further added “As part of several policies aimed at plastics, The Netherlands and the European community at large are fully committed to reduce the production and consumption of single-use plastic, which can and must be replaced with durable and sustainable alternatives.”
- This year in 2023, it will be showcased how countries, businesses are learning to use materials more sustainably generating hopes that plastic will be a history one day.
How Is World Environment Day Celebrated?
The environment is a great concern for the creatures of Mother Earth. In order to sustain it for a long period of time, we must take good care of it. Over the generations, it has proven to be a great platform for individuals, NGOs, institutions, organizations, and corporations to promote their ideas and perceptions to save the environment. Governments and communities put up different activities to perform on this occasion in order to promote the conservation of nature.
■ Also Read: World Earth Day Theme Quotes History
A healthy and hygienic environment requires people’s friendly participation in events like growing trees, minimizing the usage of non-biodegradable products like plastic, and stopping the engine of a car at a traffic stop to save fuel. We do not have a planet B so we cannot afford to be the enemy of our home planet by polluting air, water, and land Which is why the world environment day is also known as People’s Day.
How has the Corona Pandemic Affected Planet Earth?
The Coronavirus Outbreaks have indeed impacted the lives of the masses worldwide. The income levels have gone down drastically impacting over 90 percent of the population. On the other hand, the positive impact on the environment has been noticed and the pollution parameters have changed towards the corrective side.
The major reason is the hampering of production due to lockdown and the emissions from the industry have fallen sharply. Simultaneously the major accumulation of medical waste is creating another problem. The disposal is becoming a great problem and may become a cause of other infections. The situation will compel the government and the scientific community to take measures in the changing scenario.
How Will the Environment Improve?
The present state of the environment is quite miserable. It seems near to impossible to breathe into clean air now. But, God Kabir Saheb Ji has told that this all is going to change soon because a Satyug-like atmosphere is going to arrive in Kalyug (the present age) under the Leadership of Jagat Guru Sant Rampal Ji Maharaj. The entire world will take Naam Diksha (Initiation) from Saint Rampal Ji now. Then, the trees will be in abundance on the whole earth quite soon. To know more, kindly read: The Golden Age is Coming
World Environment Day 2023 Quotes
- “Our actions on the forests is reflection of what future we build for ourselves” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “Conservation is harmony between men and land” – Aldo Leopold
- “People criticize the environment, but they are to blame themselves” – Robert Collier
- “The biggest threat to the planet earth is that someone else will save it” – Robert Swan
- “A nation that ruins its soil, ruins itself” – Franklin D Roosevelt
Adopt Sat-Bhakti to Annihilate Sorrows & Commence The Golden Era
To keep each one happy and free from suffering, adopt Eternal Devotion (Sat-Bhakti) directly bestowed by the Supreme Reality Himself or His authentic representative who is the enlightened Saint SatGuru Rampal Ji Maharaj. Come to the refuge of the SatGuru and take Naam Diksha (Initiation) from Him.
The practice of the Eternal Devotion will not only give pleasures in everyday life but also take out from the cycle of birth and death. The real purpose of human birth is to achieve Salvation through Sat-Bhakti. This not only gives us salvation but also drives the Golden Age(SatYuga) for the people to live happily. In this era of Kalyug everybody is running after money, hence with the commencement of SatYuga, the environment will automatically be filtered as earlier.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) related to World Environment Day 2023
“Solutions to Plastic Pollution” under the campaign #BeatPlasticPollution
World Environment Day is celebrated to generate awareness on environmental issues and sustainable environmental development among people all around the globe. It is celebrated on the 5th of June every year.
Every World Environment Day is hosted by a different country, in which official celebrations take place. In 2023 it will be hosted by Côte d’Ivoire in partnership with the Netherlands.