Published on 11 June 2021: 3:32 PM IST: World Ocean Day is an international observance observed annually by the entire globe so as to highlight the degrading quality of oceans and consequently affecting marine life. And thus arises the need to preserve it. Through the online platform and by dedicating a specialized theme UN has urged everyone to contribute to this event as a whole because reducing its degradation is a collective effort.
World Oceans day 2021 Key Points:
- World Oceans Day is an international event observed annually. It aims at innovative ways to preserve the wealth inside the oceans.
- This day came into existence in the year 2008. June 8 was the date decided to observe the observance.
- This year’s World Oceans Day theme is ‘The Ocean: Life and Livelihoods’ highlighting the importance of oceans.
- This year World Oceans Day mainly lays its concentration upon ocean plastic pollution and urges everyone to contribute for the same.
- We are still unaware about the extent upto which oceans are serving our lives. We are totally dependent on oceans.
- With such advancement in technology, every year people die of floods and other natural calamities. Solution is still out of our reach because scientists are humans not God.
- Only Gracious God Kabir can guarantee us happiness and can even do what science can’t even imagine. So rely on God not humans for a better future.
What Is World Ocean Day?
World Oceans Day is an annual event observed annually which aims at preservation of oceans.This is the second year of a fully virtual celebration of the United Nations World Oceans day due to the coronavirus pandemic which hit the world last year. Oceans are considered to be the lungs of the planet and a critical part of the biosphere and are a major source of food and medicine, The United Nations said on the occasion of World Oceans Day. On June 8th,Tuesday the UN called for adopting sustainable efforts in stopping plastic pollution in order to save the oceans from degradation.
On this world’s ocean day, let us avoid eating local sustainably sourced fish to stop plastic pollution, so we all have a role to play to save our ocean, the UN said. Due to the coronavirus pandemic which hit the world last year the UN has asked people to join the virtual event via online mode through a link.
When Is World Oceans Day 2021?
World Oceans Day is an annual event that is observed on June 8th every year. The date of the World Ocean Day is by default the same every year.
World Ocean Day 2021 Theme
The theme of the World Ocean Day is ‘The Ocean: Life and Livelihoods’ this year. It is especially relevant in the lead up to the UN decade of Ocean Science for sustainable development which will run from 2021 to 2030. The decade is aimed at strengthening international cooperation to develop scientific research and innovative technologies that are capable of connecting ocean science with the needs of modern society.
According to the UN, on June 5th on the occasion of world environment day the UN decade of ecosystem restoration kicked off rallying up the calls for protection and restoration of ecosystems portions that are considered to be the lands of the planet and a critical part of the biosphere and are a major source of food and medicine. The United Nations said the purpose of the day is to inform and educate the public about the impact of human actions on the ocean to develop a worldwide movement of citizens, which will mobilize and unite the world’s population on a project for the sustainable management of the world’s oceans, it added. This year’s event is produced by the Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea of the Office of Legal Affairs in collaboration with the nonprofit organization Oceanic Global will highlight the wonders of the oceans and how they are the life source of the planet that supports humanity and every other organism on earth.
Significance of World Ocean Day
The significance of this day is in understanding the need to preserve the wealth of our oceans. The oceans cover 71 of our planet and they are home to tons of thousands of marine species, provide food for animals and water for humans, they regulate our climate and so much more but every year millions of tons of plastic and other forms of marine debris end up in our oceans and cause serious problems for livings beings inside it.
Dolphins, whales, sea turtles, fish and other marine animals consider this trash as food and eat it and as a result they become entangled or trapped in marine debris which can lead to devastating injuries and death. Aquariums, zoos and marine parks are fighting to save our oceans but it isn’t enough. It’s time for all of us to work together to improve the health of our planet’s greatest resource.
History of World Oceans Day
The concept of a world ocean’s day was first proposed in 1992 at the earth summit in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil as a way to celebrate our world’s shared ocean and our personal connection to the sea as well as raise awareness about the crucial role the ocean plays in our lives which will further educate people about important ways people can help protect it. Officially World Ocean Day was established by the United Nations general assembly in 2008 which is to be celebrated worldwide annually on June 8, to resolve the problems of oceans and also see ways to save ocean water. In December 2008, the UN passed a declaration to make this day an official event.
Importance of the Oceans
Oceans are the lifeblood of the planet earth and thus for humans too. Oceans have a huge role to play in our lives or we can say we are totally dependent on oceans and it is hard to imagine a life without oceans.
- Oceans hold 97 percent of our planet’s water, about 30 percent of carbon dioxide produced by humans is absorbed by the oceans, buffering the impacts of global warming.
- Oceans produce a good range of goods and services that are an integral part of our health economies like fisheries, shipping roads etc.
- Oceans are also an integral part of our water cycle. Oceans control temperature and weather by absorbing over half the heat reaching the earth from the sun. A vast amount of greenhouse gas carbon dioxide (co2) is absorbed by ocean water and helps humans in tackling the problem of global warming and climate change. Marine plants also produce half of the oxygen that we and all other land animals breathe.
- The ocean is the home to the greatest abundance of life on our planet.
How to Celebrate World Oceans Day?
Celebrations of this day mainly concentrates upon limiting plastic pollution and thus helping in reducing ocean degradation. On this World Ocean Day, avoid single-use plastics. Plastic pollution is one of the greatest threats to ocean health worldwide.
- There are many ways you can help reduce ocean plastic pollution but one of the easiest is to avoid single use plastics. Support cleaner oceans by avoiding single-use plastic items including disposable water bottles, straws, cups, lids and bags.
- We can also join a world ocean’s day activity or event there are hundreds of events planned worldwide for World Ocean Day these include talks, happy hours, film screenings, beach cleanups and more.
- We can also breathe deep and appreciate the ocean. So take time today to appreciate your connection to the ocean and to consider the many benefits that a healthy ocean provides.
- One of our deepest connections to the ocean is through air that we breathe. More than half the oxygen in earth’s atmosphere is produced by marine plants so breathe deeply and it will automatically reflect your connection to the ocean because inspiration is required to continue working for healthier oceans.
- A dedicated hashtag #WorldOceansDay is made to trend on the social media platform twitter so as to highlight the event and things attached.
- UN has decided to observe this event virtually keeping in mind the surge in the cases of pandemic.
We have learned a lot about World Oceans Day and why we should keep our oceans clean. And we should definitely make a move and keep our oceans cleaner and healthier so from today onwards let us all take a pledge that we will keep our oceans clean.
What Do You Know About Our Oceans?
The ocean is where life began over three and a half billion years ago. Below mentioned are some nail biting facts that will surely blow your mind.
- The ocean covers over 70% of the Earth’s surface and includes over 97% of the Earth’s water.
- Australia’s Great Barrier Reef is the largest living structure on Earth and can be seen from the moon Stretching for over 1429 miles with an area of 133000 square miles.
- The deepest part of the ocean is in the Mariana Trench at nearly seven miles beneath the waves.
- Coral reefs cover only one-fiftieth of the ocean floor but about one quarter of all marine species make coral reefs their home. No light penetrates the ocean at depths greater than 1000 meters (or 3280 feet) aided by deeper diving Rovers and remote sensing cameras scientists are still discovering new species beneath the waves.
- The Gulf Stream transports more water than all of the Earth’s rivers combined.
- The mid-ocean ridge Criss is a mountain range that covers the globe for over 65000 kilometres (over 40,000 miles) and is the largest single geological feature on earth whose 90 percent of the structure lies below the oceans.
Where Science Loses Scope God Kabir Generates Scope
We are living in a condition on this planet earth where anything can happen to anybody anytime. One of those causes can be natural disasters because of water like floods, etc. Every year we see so many people dying, amidst these still we remain satisfied with the science we know, why? All the five elements including water are created by Supreme God Kabir by His power of word. Presently out of our grave ignorance or lack of Tatvgyan we have considered ourselves far more superior than God which is nothing but an act of a fool. Sant Garibdasji from Haryana, India says:
Garib, Chand soor paani pavan, Dharni dhaul aakash |
Paanch tatv haziri khade, Khijamtidar khawas ||
Scientists are just experimenting on the creations of God Kabir and considering as if they have developed something new. This entire universe is God given and we are nothing infront of God Kabir. Science doesn’t have a solution to every problem that we are facing now. They also seem to be helpless at times. But, Gracious God Kabir can end all our problems.
World Oceans Day Quotes 2021
- World Ocean Day is a demand to have a collective effort from the entire globe to safeguard our oceans.
- We were the ones who degraded the oceans and we are the ones who will be going to preserve it.
- As you sow, so shall you reap, the more care you give to the oceans, the more you will get as an output.
- Protect our oceans because it is precious.
- Water is amongst the five elements of nature created by the Almighty God Kabir. So we should preserve it.
- Just like oceans are a resource to us, this human life is also valuable because it is a golden opportunity obtained in ages to attain Supreme God Kabir and salvation.
Our Native Place: Satlok
Gracious God Kabir has told us about a place where the problem of uncertainty in death and old age is not present. We become immortal and remain young throughout our lives. This place is called Satlok. Only by the method of True Worship one’s soul can go there.
With no guarantee of even a single next second we are hanging in between life and death for all our lives. No one thinks that but it is a harsh reality. Supreme God Kabir comes and eases our way to have a better life afterwards.
Who Can Help Us in Troubles?
Supreme God Kabir has made a provision in the form of Saint Rampal Ji Maharaj from Haryana, India in order to impart His true spiritual knowledge or Tatvgyan. By His method of worship, a soul will move to Satlok after death and will become immortal forever.
Saint Rampal Ji Maharaj has proved via His disciples that He is indeed giving the True mantras of recitation and He is indeed the sole representative of God Kabir presently. So don’t miss this Golden opportunity and pounce on it as early as you can because it is the last chance so as to get out of this cruel world and live a happy life thereafter.