Last Updated on 16 October 2021, 2:10 PM IST: World Food Day was first established in November 1979. The idea was suggested by former Hungarian Minister of Agriculture and Food Dr Pal Romany. Since then, the day has been celebrated by more than 150 countries around the world. It is an initiative by the Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations.
World Food Day 2021: Highlights
- October 16 marks the creation of FAO in 1945.
- World Food Day is celebrated in honour of the date of the founding of the FAO of the United Nations in 1945.
- In the United States the endeavor is sponsored by 450 national, private voluntary organizations.
- The day aims at tackling global hunger and striving to eradicate hunger across the world.
- This day is also celebrated by organizations like the World Food Programme (WFP) and the International Fund for Agriculture Development.
- The theme of this year is “Safe food now for a healthy tomorrow”.
- India’s rank in the Global hunger index has gone down to 101.
- The Almighty helps those who identify Him and worship.
History of World Food Day
World Food Day was first observed in 1945. It was celebrated to mark the launch of the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization. The main focus of World Food Day is to celebrate the promotion of food security across the globe, especially in difficult times like the COVID-19 pandemic.
World Food Programme (WFP)
The day is celebrated widely by many other organizations concerned with hunger and food security, including the World Food Programme and the International Fund for Agricultural Development. WFP received the Nobel Prize in Peace for 2020 for their efforts to combat hunger, contribute to peace in conflict areas, and for playing a leading role in stopping the use of hunger in the form of a weapon for war and conflict.
World Food Day Theme 2021
2021’s theme is “Safe food now for a healthy tomorrow”. The theme emphasises the various immediate and long-term benefits of consuming safe and healthy food. This year, the World Food Day commemorations will be jointly led by the FAO, UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, and the World Food Programme (WFP). Events will be organised in 150 countries across the globe with multiple partners and governments, according to the United Nations.
Most of the themes for the day over the years have revolved around agriculture and investment in the sector to increase production. Investment in agriculture, along with education and health, can help in turning around the situation of hunger. However, despite knowing the fact that agriculture needs investment, the sector has been starving for both public and private investments.
Significance of World Food Day
World Food Day is celebrated to mark the anniversary of the founding of the FAO of the United Nations, every year. This day aims at tackling global hunger and striving to eradicate hunger across the world.
How Can the World Celebrate World Food Day?
This global event marks a day calling for worldwide awareness and collective action to combat the issue of hunger and ensure healthy diets for all. One of the best ways to celebrate World Food Day is by giving food to people who need it the most. This way you can serve and feed the needy.
India’s Global Hunger Rank
For the 2021 GHI report, data were assessed for 135 countries. With a score of 27.5 in the 2021 Global Hunger Index, India has a level of hunger that is serious. India slips to 101st rank in Global Index 2021. Despite so much economic growth, India is still grappling with high levels of poverty, food insecurity, and malnutrition. In the last two decades, the income gap between the rich and the poor has increased. The Covid-19 pandemic has made the situation worse.
The World Food Programme is taking many steps along with the Government of India. The Indian government has also been running many food security related schemes but the implementation has been a challenge. The government, in 2013, had enacted the National Food Security Act which ensured food grains at subsidised rates to approximately two-thirds of the Indian population. But, the fight to end hunger is far from being over.
Supreme God Kabir Feeds Everyone
- You know More than 3 billion people (almost 40% of the world’s population) cannot afford a healthy diet. There are millions of people across the globe who are struggling with hunger, they do not have adequate food to survive.
- Starvation is a global crisis that needs to be addressed and tackled before it’s too late. We live in a society where there are people who can manage to indulge in the finest of delicacies without any thoughts but there are also others who struggle for food altogether.
- God created this world, and we are God’s creation. Each soul in this universe is God’s beloved soul. God loves both human beings and animals alike. God created the universe in six days. He made us and provided food for everyone.
All Living Being Equal for God
God is gracious and kind. He loves the souls of animals and humans alike. God gave us seed-bearing and fruit-bearing plants to eat. Even microorganisms are His child. He ordered the man to be vegetarian. God helps those who obey Him. Every soul belongs to God and He loves each and every child.
Whoever is dependent on God and has a firm belief in Him and His constitution, he will never go sleep hungry & thirsty. God has descended on earth to protect His souls from all obstacles like hunger, poverty, diseases, calamity etc., believe in His glory and identify Him through the book ‘Gyan Ganga’ (Compiled by Saint Rampal ji Maharaj incarnation of Almighty). Worshipping Almighty according to the scriptures can help everyone till eternity.