Last Updated on 22 April 2022, 4:23 PM IST | World Book and Copyright Day 2022: World Book Day is marked on April 23 every year to promote reading, publishing, and copyright. This day marks the celebration for the opportunity of reading in the library and being a book lover. On this day read the sacred spiritual books of enlightened Sant Rampal Ji Maharaj and learn Eternal Truth.
Which Date World Book Day 2022 Is Celebrated?
World Book Day 2022 is marked on April 23 every year to promote reading, publishing, and copyright. In the year 2022, World Book Day will be commemorated on Saturday, April 23. This day marks celebration for the opportunity of reading in the library and being a book lover.
What Are Other Names of World Book Day?
“World Book Day ” is also called “World Book and Copyright Day” or “International Day of the Book“. It is organized by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) to promote reading, publishing, and copyright annually.
Is World Book Day Celebrated On Some Other Dates?
World Book and Copyright Day: World Book Day is a charity event in the United Kingdom and Ireland. It is commemorated every year on the first Thursday and at same time special editions are released. In United States of America’s Kensington, Maryland, the International Day of the Book is commemorated with a street festival on a nearby Sunday of 26 April.
What is World Digital Library And Its Significance?
The World Digital Library (WDL) was launched in 2009 by the U.S. Library of Congress, with the support of UNESCO. The libraries, archives, museums, educational institutions, and international organizations around the world contributed for WDL. The WDL protects and provides world’s cultural objects of great significance, improves means of approach to cultural treasures and important historical documents to enable uncovering, intellectual attainment, and make use of.
The original World Digital Library site is maintained in LC’s Web Archives. All descriptive metadata were translated from English. The metadata were also made available in six additional languages: Spanish, Portuguese, French, Arabic, Russian, and Chinese. The wide WDL collection of Books, manuscripts, maps, and other primary materials are preserved in their original languages.
Theme Of World Book Day 2022?
In the year 2021 the Theme of World Book Day is ‘Share a Story’. The theme for the year 2022 is not declared yet. The people on this day should encourage the students to share a story with the society they live in. The students can read stories over video chat; read books at home, read books or magazines or create fun by making paper tents, and doing group acts with books of choice.
Significance of World Book Day?
There is a great significance of the date April 23 in the literature world. The day observes the birth and death anniversaries of a few renowned authors. The world-famous writers such as William Shakespeare, Miguel de Cervantes, and Josep Pla died on April 23 whereas Manuel Mejia Vallejo and Maurice Druon were born on April 23.
Reading is also an entertainment that involves the imagination of the reader as compared to watching videos. The reader enjoys relaxation by having a feel of the book. The innovative designing and quality of printing the book gives an additional feel of the book. Books are very much valuable for society.
“Indeed, books are vital vehicles to access, transmit and promote education, science, culture and information worldwide.”— Audrey Azoalay, Director-General of UNESCO, on the occasion of World Book and Copyright Day 2022
Which City Is Named “World Book Capital” For The Year 2022 by UNESCO?
On World Book Day, UNESCO alongwith the international organizations on behalf of the book industry’s three major sectors – publishers, booksellers and libraries, choose the World Book Capital for a year. In the year 2022, Mexico’s city Guadalajara was named World Book Capital. Guadalajara will focus on three strategic verticals:
- Promote reading activities at public spaces
- Organize reading and writing workshops for children to improve social bonding and cohesion
- Encourage story-telling and street poetry to strengthen neighborhood identity through using intergenerational connections.
History of World Book Day?
In 1995, UNESCO decided to establish a day devoted to reading books. It was discussed in the General Conference convened in Paris, ‘to discover the pleasure of reading and gain a renewed respect for the irreplaceable contributions of those, who have furthered the social and cultural progress of humanity.’
- UNESCO chose the date as it coincided with the death anniversary of William Shakespeare and renowned Spanish chronicler Inca Garcilaso de la Vega.
- Many days were considered before reaching the date. In the beginning, it was thought to honor the author Miguel de Cervantes on his birthday, on October 7, or his death day on April 23.
- The death day coincided with the death day of William Shakespeare and Inca Garcilaso de la Vega, therefore April 23 was selected.
- Incidentally, many other famous authors like William Wordsworth and David Halberstam have also died on April 23.
- In many parts of the globe like the UK and Ireland, World Book Day is celebrated on several other dates.
Paper Is Backbone of Books
World Book and Copyright Day 2022: Indian history reminds us of the record of written material on typical leafy papers. On record it is the first book developed by the Chinese in the 3rd century. That time the paper used to be thick and heavy. In earlier times papers were made by Hand from Bamboo and grass. Later with mechanization the paper was developed through automatic plants from Hardwood and Softwood.
World Book and Copyright Day 2022: The coating technology has been developed to a very high level. Therefore the gloss is very high, brightness and whiteness is also close to 99. The light GSM paper weight makes the book very light and facilitates easy reading.
What Is the World Book Day Timeline?
- Tablet Engravings (3500 B.C.): The first non-paper clay tablet on which Sumerians engrave their alphabet.
- The Very First Printed Book (858 A.D.): In China, a book was printed on characters using woodblocks.
- Penguin Publishing (1935): The Penguin publishing company published ten books in paperback form that were sold in stores.
- Digital Reading: The E Ink Corporation developed electronic paper in 1997. Later reading tablet Kindle was released that has a capacity to store thousands of books digitally.
World Book Day: The Numbers
- 1,207,937 – Reading sessions started on Bookly last year.
- 359,803 – Books and e-books added on Bookly between 2019 and 2020.
- 16,555 – Audiobooks added to Bookly between 2019 and 2020.
- 909,394 – Reading sessions started by female users on Bookly between 2019 and 2020.
- 350,485 – Reading sessions started by male users on Bookly between 2019 and 2020.
- 25–34 – The ages between which the most books are read.
- 80 million – Active users on popular book site Goodreads.
- 24% of American adults who have not read a book in 2018.
How to Celebrate World Book Day 2022?
- Collect the books on spirituality that will change your life.
- The authentic spiritual books are those written by Sant Rampal Ji Maharaj
- Download Sant Rampal Ji Maharaj App.
- Download the books and videos from the App and learn the real purpose of human life.
FAQs about World Book Day 2022
Ans. World Book and Copyright Day or World Book Day is commemorated to promote the enjoyment of books and reading. Celebrated annually, on 23 April, all over the world to highlight the significance of books. Books are an important link between the past time and the future, a pool between the generations and several cultures.
Ans. World Book and Copyright Day’s theme for the year was ‘To share a story’. The theme for the year 2022 is not declared yet.
How do we Celebrate World Book and Copyright Day?
- Download free books from “Sant Rampal Ji Maharaj” App from Google play
- Participate in the #Bookface Challenge.
- Join the World Book Capital Celebrations.
- Dress Up Like a Literary Character.
- Visit Your Favorite Bookshop.
- Make a Book-Related Craft.
- Host a Book Club or Book Discussion.
Why is 23 April a World Book Day?
April 23 is marked as World Book Day because many prominent authors were either born or have died on this day. On April 23, William Shakespeare, Miguel de Cervantes and Josep Pla died whereas Manuel Mejia Vallejo and Maurice Druon were born.
Why is World Book Day celebrated on April 23rd except for the UK and Ireland?
In 1995, UNESCO announced that the World Book and Copyright Day would be commemorated on 23 April every year to mark William Shakespeare, Miguel de Cervantes and Josep Pla death anniversary and Manuel Mejia Vallejo and Maurice Druon birth anniversary.
Important Quotes on World Book Day?
- ”Books are a uniquely portable magic” – Stephen King
- ”There is no friend as loyal as a book” – Ernest Hemingway
- ”The only thing you absolutely have to know is the location of the library” – Albert Einstein
- “If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking” – Haruki Murakami, Norwegian Wood
- ”I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book” – J.K. Rowling
- ”You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me” – C.S. Lewis
“The Way of Living” Is a Must Read Book
The Sacred Book “Way of Living (Jeene ki Raah)” is worth keeping at home and reading. It must be read by the children, the parents and the grandparents. The book enlightens the readers about what is the real purpose of human birth and how to accomplish it? After reading the book, come to the refuge of the Tatvdarshi Sant Rampal Ji Maharaj and take Naam Diksha (Initiation) from Him. Sant Rampal Ji is rare among the rarest sants on the planet Earth.