Last Updated on 23 April 2023, 7:07 PM IST: English Language Day 2023 | English is an International language. Globally, about 2 billion people use the English language as a medium to express thoughts, feelings and ideas.This language has official recognition in around 75 nations. In the United Nations, it is celebrated on 23rd April. In 2010, an initiative was taken by the department of Global communications of establishing languages day for six official languages. The aim behind this is to observe social and cultural diversity to promote equal use of all official languages throughout the organization.
Meaning of English Language Day?
Under United Nations observance, people celebrate English language day on 23rd April each year. This day is particularly observed to commemorate William Shakespeare’s birthday and death date. English is a Germanic language that is most widely used around the world. We can say that English is a universal language which is used for communication.
Key Highlights or Facts about English Language Day
- The great English playwright, poet and actor invented over 1000 words in his time.
- A new word is added to the dictionary every two hours.
- The most common letter in the English language is E.
- The least common letter in the English language is Q.
- The shortest, oldest and most commonly used word is “I”.
- Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is the longest word in English.
- The closest relative of the English language today is Frisian. Only in small areas of Germany and the Netherlands, people still speak this language.
Significance of English language Day
As we all know, Shakespeare had a huge impact on modern English. It does have several benefits and is vital because of several reasons.
- English is the world’s most spoken language.
- It is an essential tool of communication.
- The English language has now acquired the tag of Language of English.
- It helps us to learn about different cultures.
- Knowing the English language broadens job opportunities.
- It is essential for international travel and trade.
- English is a polycentric language.
- Almost all journals and papers are published in English.
When was the first English language day celebrated?
The First English language day was organized by the United Nations in the year 2010, U.N.’s Educational, Scientific and Cultural organization inaugurated language day for all the six official languages.
Motive behind the celebration of English language day
The motive is to celebrate multilingualism – the use of different languages around the world and different cultures. Also, to inform and promote, with the goal of increasing awareness and respect for the history, culture and achievement of languages among the community.
#EnglishLanguageDay is just around the bend, so let’s not beat around the tree!
There’s still time to submit your favorite malaproprism to @UNGeneva‘s writing competition to be in the flight for one of our exciting prizes! The deadline is tomorrow!https://t.co/McXtZNQLUv pic.twitter.com/d7jL1YTeCk
— UN Geneva (@UNGeneva) April 16, 2022
Origin of English Language
The English language was first spoken in the origins of medieval England and its name was taken from angles. After some time, angels who were a west germanic tribe found their way to England. Then there were some discussions and arguments that English will no longer be a language of its own, but it will be a mixup of every language.
Now, as we all know, the English language has become a dominant language around the globe and the basic required language for communication.
History of English Language Day?
Around the world, English language day is celebrated to promote multilingualism and cultural diversity through exploring the language. As the official website of the United Nation, declares that English language day is celebrated for both the birth and death anniversary of William Shakespeare.
The Department of Global communication has taken an initiative in the year 2010 to announce this day as English Language Day. This day is observed to promote equal use of all six languages used in the organization.
How is English Language Day celebrated?
- On English language day, try to learn more about the language. If you go deep and study, you will find so many new English words which have roots in a different language. Just try to identify these words and learn more about their origins.
- Another best way to celebrate English Language day is by reading your favorite English author’s books.
- And If you are an english expert and have the expertise, you can teach language to common people of all age groups and help them to speak the language.
- While the basic aim of English language day celebration is to entertain and inform people about the history and significance of the English language.
How to Celebrate English Language Day 2023?
On the special day of English Language Day, try to learn more about the language. If you go deep and study, you will find so many English words which have roots in a different language. Just try to identify these words and learn more about their origins.
Another way people celebrate English day is by reading their favorite English books and authors. And If you are an english expert and have the expertise, you can teach language to common people of all age groups and help them to speak the language. While the basic aim of English language day celebration is to entertain and inform the people about the History and Significance of the English Language.
What is the Theme for English Language Day 2023
Last year in 2022, the theme of The English language day was,” using technology for multilingual learning: challenges and opportunities”. The main focus was on the important role of technology to advance multilingual education and support needed for the development of quality teaching and learning for all. This year also in 2023 the theme is the same as the previous year.
Enlighten Yourself by Reading Scriptures
Let’s know what the scriptures say about the Supreme God. Prabhu, Swami, Ish, Ram, Khuda, Allah, Rab, Malik, Master, Dev, Bhagwan, God all these power-demanding words, which are said and written in different languages.
The power which grants eyes to the blind, voice to the dumb, make a deaf person hear , gives son to a barren woman, makes a pauper wealthy, makes an ill person healthy, Who is the creator of all the brahmands, Who is the giver of complete peace, Who is a Jagatguru and omniscient, without whose orders even a leaf can not move and for whom nothing is impossible. He, who has these qualities, in reality, is called GOD, the Supreme and eternal God Kabir.
“Kabir Guru bin Mala Pherte, Guru bin dete Daan |
Guru bin dono Nishfal hai, Chahe poochcho Ved Puraan ||
Worshiping without a True Saint or Guru is useless, it is written and mentioned in holy books that without a Complete Guru you can not get salvation. Saint Rampal ji maharaj is currently the only True Guru in this world who can cure your sins and grant you salvation. Since 2003, Sant Rampal ji has been spreading the true knowledge through the medium of newspaper, books and Television.
Enlightenment of True Knowledge
Let’s know what the scriptures say about the Supreme God. Prabhu, Swami, Ish, Ram, Khuda, Allah, Rab, Malik, Master, Dev, Bhagwan, all these words are said and written in different languages for the God.
The power which grants eyes to the blind, voice to the dumb, make a deaf person hear from ears, gives son to a barren woman, makes a pauper wealthy, makes an ill person healthy, who is the creator of all the entire universes, who is the giver of complete peace is Kabir. As He has all these qualities, in reality.
“Kabir guru bin mala pherte, guru bin dete daan |
Guru bin dono nishfal hai, poochcho ved puraan ||
Who can Make us Reach to Our God Kabir?
Worshiping without a True saint or guru is useless, it is written and mentioned in holy books that without a complete guru you can not get salvation. Saint Rampal ji maharaj is currently the only True Guru in this world who can cure our sins and can grant us salvation. Since 2003, Sant Rampal Ji has been spreading the true knowledge through the medium of newspaper, books and Television. We request the whole human society to recognize the True Guru “Saint Rampal ji Maharaj” and get your and your family welfare done.
Quotes on English Language Day
- “The English language is nobody’s special property. It is the property of the imagination: It is the property of the language itself.”
- “Words without thoughts never to heaven go.”
- “In the English language, it all comes down to this: Twenty-six letters, when combined correctly, can create magic. Twenty-six letters form the foundation of a free, informed society.”
- “A different language is a different vision of life.”
- “English is a curiously expressive language. Womb, room, tomb. It sums up living in three words.”
- “People have nothing in common but the English language.”
- “The perfect way to celebrate English Language Day would be by learning something new about this popular language.”
- “The English language plays an essential role in our lives as it helps in communication. That’s all.”
FAQ’s About English Language Day 2023
Ans:- English language day in 2023 falls on April 23rd.
Ans :- William Shakespeare’s birth and death anniversary is celebrated as international English language Day.
Ans:- English language day was first celebrated in the year 2010 on 23 April.
Ans:- Geoffrey Chaucer is known as the father of the English language. He was an English author, poet, philosopher, bureaucrat (courtier), and diplomat.
Ans:- English is a West Germanic language that originated from Anglo-Frisian languages brought to Britain in the mid 5th to 7th centuries AD by Anglo-Saxon migrants from what is now northwest Germany, southern Denmark and the Netherlands.
Ans: English is an important language world wide not only in academics but also for better career opportunities