World Pharmacist Day 2022: On 25 September every year, World Pharmacist Day is celebrated across the world. World Pharmacist Day was an initiative of the International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP), which was recognized in the year 2000 at a conference held in Istanbul. The purpose of celebrating this day is to draw attention to pharmacies. Apart from this, health facilities can be improved in all corners of the world. Before knowing the history and importance of World Pharmacist Day, it is important to know how the International Pharmaceutical Federation – FIP works?
History of World Pharmacist Day
World Pharmacist Day was started in 2009. Created by FIP in 2009 at the World Congress of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science in Istanbul, Turkey. The 25th of September was chosen because the FIP was established on this day in 1912. The main objective of celebrating this day is to encourage the role of pharmacists in improving health in every corner of the world.
A Pharmacist performs all his duties keeping in mind the health of the people, which includes, correct identification of medicine, it’s restocking, expiry date and availability of medicines etc. So that it does not have any wrong effect on the health of any person in any way. Keeping all these things in mind, FIP supported observing this day to honour all pharmacists.
FIP has its headquarters in The Hague, Netherlands and its MOTTO is ‘Advancing Pharmacy Worldwide’. The FIP began with a series of International Pharmaceutical Congresses held in the 19th century. In 1910, the 10th International Pharmaceutical Congress resolved to establish the International Pharmaceutical Federation. Its first president was Prof. Dr Leopold of Italy, who was a professor at Leiden University, and the title of the first Secretary-General was given to Dr J. J. Hoffmann, a pharmacist in The Hague.
Historical Facts about Pharmacy
- 1618 – The first drug reference book was published by the Royal College of Physicians
- 1821 – The first pharmacy college was set up in the U.S.
- 1982 – Tamper-resistant packaging becomes the norm
- 2008 – Advent of robotized pharmacy
World Pharmacist Day 2022: Challenges for FIP in Improving Medical Facilities
The FIP is a global federation of national associations of pharmacists and pharmaceutical scientists. Many studies show that a large number of patients are harmed due to carelessness or wrong medicines during the course of health care. Due to this, they had to stay in the hospital for a long time which also becomes the cause of any permanent injury or illness. There were also incidents of death of persons in many situations. In this way, errors in medicines have a direct impact on people’s health, and pharmacists have an important role in mitigating such a global health challenge.
World Pharmacist Day 2022: FIP’s Mission
There are 127 members of the organization in this federation. This federation represents about 3 million doctors and scientists. The institute’s mission is to contribute to improving global health by advancing pharmacy practice and science to enable better discovery, access, development and safe use of appropriate, cost-effective, quality drugs worldwide.
World Pharmacists Day Theme 2022
The special thing about World Pharmacist Day is that every year FIP sets a theme for it. This year the theme of World Pharmacist Day 2022 is “Pharmacists United in Action for a Healthy World”, similarly in the last few years were following the different themes;
- World Pharmacist Day 2021 – Pharmacy: Always Trusted For Your Health
- World Pharmacist Day 2020 – Transforming global health
- World Pharmacist Day 2019 – Safe and effective medicines for all
- World Pharmacist Day 2018 – Pharmacists: Your medicines experts
- World Pharmacist Day 2017 – From research to health care: Your pharmacist is at your service
- World Pharmacist Day 2016 – Pharmacists: Caring for you
- World Pharmacist Day 2015 – Pharmacists: Your partners in health
- World Pharmacist Day 2014 – Access to pharmacists is access to health
- World Pharmacist Day 2013 – Pharmacists: simplifying your medicine use, no matter how complex
- World Pharmacist Day 2012 – Pharmacists – Your partners in using medicines responsibility
The Role of Pharmacists in creating a Healthy Society
World Pharmacist Day 2022: To keep our lives healthy and remove various diseases, doctors, and pharmacists also have a great contribution. A pharmacist is also called a chemist. These are the people who have complete knowledge about medicine. Pharmacists play a vital role in the health department. Pharmacists have an important role in preparing new medicines, discovering them, inventing different types of vaccines and delivering them in large numbers to the market. They train, discover and research new medicines.
Father of Indian Pharmacy
Professor Mahadev Lal Shroff is known as the father of Indian Pharmacy. His contribution to the field of pharmacy was incomparable. He introduced a 3-year course for Pharmacy at Banaras Hindu University, which is now followed in every public and private university in India. Born in a small town in Darbhanga, Bihar, Prof. Shroff completed his schooling in Bhagalpur. For his education, he joined the Engineering College of Banaras Hindu University.
In 1922, he enrolled for his B.Sc. in Chemical Engineering Course at Iowa and earned the coveted scholarship.In December 1935, the United Provinces Pharma Association was established, which expanded rapidly out of Uttar Pradesh in 1939 and became the Indian Pharmaceutical Association in 1939 with branches across the country. He was the founding editor of the Indian Journal of Pharmacy, which was created in January 1939.
How To Celebrate Pharmacist Day?
World Pharmacist Day 2022: To make this day more memorable, people share quotes or statuses related to World Pharmacists Day. They express their gratitude towards the pharmacist and the people related to them and congratulate them through social media i.e. WhatsApp, Facebook and other apps. Here are some tips you can also Celebrate this day :
- Show your gratitude to Your Pharmacists: your local pharmacy has helped you in some very trying times. Show them your gratitude. Start with simple thanks and then move to advertise their awesome services to everyone you know.
- Protect Your Local Pharmacies: In the World full of Online sites buy medicines and other available items from local pharmacies as much as you can. This way, you contribute towards keeping the place open and keep your pharmacist in a job.
COOL FACTS ABOUT PHARMACISTS
- Around 90% of people in the U.S. live within five miles of a pharmacist — that’s how many of these health professionals the country has.
- Alexander Flemming (who discovered penicillin), Agatha Christie (world-famous crime author), and Hubert Humphrey (38th Vice President of the U.S.), are only some famous names who have also been pharmacists.
- Pharmacists began selling the first mass-produced, pre-packaged drug called ‘antipyrine’ in 1883; by the 1900s, most medicines were sold by pharmacies this way.
- Louis Dufilho, America’s first licensed pharmacist, opened a pharmacy in New Orleans that sold Voodoo remedies, opium, and leeches, alongside traditional medicines.
- A pharmacist named James Vernor was creating a mixture to calm the stomach when he accidentally made what would then be known as one of America’s oldest soft drinks — ‘Vernors Ginger Ale.’
- Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, and Ginger Ale were all invented by pharmacists.
- The most well-known pharmacist in the world is Dr Joseph DiPiro who wrote the pharmacy textbook, Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach
How to become a Pharmacist?
World Pharmacist Day 2022: The basic qualification to be a pharmacist is studying science subjects like physics, chemistry, biology and mathematics in 10+2. After completing 10+2, a candidate can either pursue a diploma or bachelor’s degree or complete a Doctor in Pharmacy. Furthermore, pursuing a master’s or doctorate is optional.
Common Responsibilities of a Pharmacist:
- Dispensing medications to patients
- Reviewing the prescription for accuracy
- Educating patients on how and when to take the prescribed medications
- Discussing and elaborating on the potential side effects of a medicine
- Providing flu injections and other vaccinations upon patient’s request
- Determining whether the current medications will interact with other medications a patient takes
- Overseeing the drugs supply chain and ensuring refills of out-of-stock medications
- Educating other staff and patients on various drug therapies
- Ensuring compliance with state and central government regulations.
Role of Sant Rampal Ji Maharaj in Creating a Healthy Society
Although various campaigns are being run all over the world to spread awareness about health among people, today the whole world is suffering from physical and mental diseases. All the campaigns run by the government or NGOs are either out of reach of the people or their benefits are limited. But Sant Rampal Ji Maharaj Ji has a panacea for all diseases. Millions of people are getting exclusive benefits just by the blessings of Sant Rampal Ji Maharaj.
We all know that the physical or mental sufferings we get in this birth are dealt with by the actions of our previous births, which can be cured only by getting Satnaam or Saarnaam from the Complete Guru. And today, Sant Rampal Ji Maharaj is the only complete Guru in the whole world, who is curing the disease of birth and death of the seekers by telling them a scripture-friendly practice and is also providing relief from all kinds of diseases.To take free initiation from Sant Rampal ji Maharaj please fill up this form and must listen to His Discourses on Sadhna TV channel everyday from 7.30-8.30pm.
FAQ Regarding World Pharmacist Day
Answer: – World Pharmacist Day is celebrated every year on 25 September.
Answer:- World Pharmacist Day signifies the importance of the valuable contribution of pharmacists in the medical field.
Answer:- Mahadev Lal Shroff is considered to be the father of pharmacists in India.
Answer: Bachelor of Pharmacy is one of the most preferred degree options at the undergraduate level. It opens the door to multiple career options like Drug Inspector, Hospital Drug Coordinator, Drug Therapist, Chemical Technician, and more.
Answer: Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D) which is a six-year course after 10+2 which includes five years of clinical and community-based theoretical study, with ward rounds and a one-year internship in hospitals. Students who are pursuing a bachelor’s in Pharmacy can take lateral entry direct to the 4th year of Pharm.D.