Last Updated on 16 December 2022, 3:10 PM IST: Swarnim Vijay Diwas: 16 December is celebrated as Vijay Diwas every year to reflect India’s victory saga in Bangladesh’s independent claim from Pakistan in 1971. It is celebrated as the day on which Amir Abdullah Khan Niazi, the chief of Pakistan’s security forces, had to surrender to the Indian Army along with his 93,000 soldiers.
16 December Vijay Diwas 2022: Highlights
- India won a historic victory over Pakistan on 16 December. India split Pakistan into two parts and created a new nation recognised as Bangladesh
- 3,900 Indian soldiers were martyred and 9,851 soldiers were injured in this war that lasted for 13 days.
- 93 thousand Pakistani soldiers surrendered at the end of the war.
- PM pays tributes to Indian warriors of 1971.
- The 4 golden victory torches lit to commemorate the National War will be taken to different places in the country.
Today India Celebrates 51st Anniversary
India is celebrating the 51st Anniversary today on completion of 50 years of the victory of the war of 16 December 1971. In 1971, the former slaves of Pakistan were acceded and an independent Bangladesh was established. As a symbol of valor and sacrifice of the Indian Army, the whole country celebrates 16 December as Victory Day every year.
All You Need to Know About Swarnim Vijay Diwas
Every year Vijay Diwas is celebrated on 16th December in the entire nation, remembering its victory over Pakistan in the year 1971. This day is also special for the people of Bangladesh as they got their independence on this very day. This war began on 3rd December 1971 and lasted for 13 long days. After 13 days, on 16th December 93000 Pakistani troops under their General AAK Niazi were defeated by Indian Forces and Bangladeshi’s Mukti Bahini and victory was declared over Pakistan.
Why is Victory Diwas Celebrated on 16th December?
16th December is a Platific Day in Indian History. On this day India achieved a historic victory over Pakistan. On 16 December 1971, India divided Pakistan into two parts by giving a crushing defeat in the war and thus Bangladesh was born. In this war which lasted for 13 days, 3,900 Indian soldiers were martyred and 9,851 soldiers were injured. In the 1971 war, 93 thousand Pakistani soldiers surrendered to India.
Circumstances That Led to the War
The basic reason for this war was the cruelty that was used by the Islamabad Government on the people of east Pakistan (now Bangladesh) which soon turned into a rebellion. With the help of armed forces, the government tried to control and torture bengali and hindu people (which were in minority) in the state of east Pakistan.
■ Also Read: Kargil Vijay Diwas: A Day To Remember The Martyrdom Of Brave Soldiers
They retaliated but no one heard their voice. Around 4 lakh people were killed by the armed forces while in actuality the Bangladeshi government says the figure is around 3 million. Seeing this, Prime Minister Indira Gandhi extended her support to help the refugees coming from the nation and decided to provide support to East Pakistan as well.
How Was the War Ignited?
The war started when Pakistan on 3rd December attempted air strikes on 11 Indian air base stations. The Bengali Nationalists Group in Bangladesh soon got the approval of the support from the Indian Army against Pakistan in their struggle for independence. Both the western and eastern front of the nation that were aligned with Pakistan were used to fight war with the neighboring nation.
■ Read in Hindi: विजय दिवस (Vijay Diwas): आज राष्ट्र कर रहा है 1971 युद्ध के शहीदों को याद
The very next day on 4th December 1971, Operation Trident was conducted by India in which a surprise attack was executed by the Indian Navy’s Western naval command on Karachi Port with the codeword trident. Southern command were deployed on the borders to protect the nation at the time of the war. Mukti Bahini guerrillas from East Pakistan also collaborated with the Indian Army in the fight.
And on the day of 14th December 1971, a house where a meeting was taking place with the governor of east pakistan was attacked by IAF and Pakistan had no clue whatsoever about it. Around 93000 Pakistani troops surrendered at that time and soon the complete surrender started and signed at Dhaka on 16th December 1971.
Quotes for Swarnim Vijay Diwas 2022
“Freedom is never dear at any price. It is the breath of life. What would a man not pay for living?” –Mahatma Gandhi
“We are Indians, firstly and lastly.”B. R. Ambedkar
“Citizenship consists in the service of the country.”-Jawaharlal Nehru
What Happened After the War?
- This intense war is so significant to the nation that it was given the name of Vijay Diwas for the celebrations in the coming years.
- East Pakistan got its freedom and was recognised with the name Bangladesh since then.
- Around 3900 Indian soldiers lost their lives and around 9851 were injured because of the war.
- 93000 prisoners of war were taken in custody by the Indian armed forces.
- Although eight months after the war, a Shimla agreement was signed between India and Pakistan as a peace treaty and to release those 93000 prisoners of war, who were released after that.
Swarnim Vijay Diwas (Vijay Diwas 16 December): Celebrations
- On the occasion of Vijay Diwas, Prime Minister of India will pay tribute to the soldiers. After paying tribute to the soldiers, Prime Minister Narendra Modi lit 4 golden victory torches at the National War Memorial. These torches will be taken to different parts of the country including the villages of the Paramveer Chakra and Mahavir Chakra winners of this war.
- ‘Veterans and brave women’ in the war will be honored in the specifically organized programs. Other events like band performances, seminars, exhibitions, equipment demonstrations, etc. will be organized.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh visited the War Memorial on Vijay Diwas. Rajnath Singh paid homage to Indian Armed Forces personnel who courageously fought in the 1971 War and laid down their lives in service to the nation.
- On December 16, 2022, on Vijay Diwas, HQ Southern Command held a “Southern Star Vijay Run-22” in Pune and fifteen other cities throughout the Southern Command Area of Responsibility to commemorate the historic military victory over Pakistan in the 1971 War. This massive event, which has the slogan “Run for Soldier – Run with Soldier,”. This run has been organized to strengthen the bond between the Indian Army and the general public. Participants in “VIJAY RUN 22” would honor martyrs while also showcasing the strength, potential, and vigor of our country.
- The “Vijay Run-22” will have three different categories: a 12.5-kilometer race that is open to everyone with separate races for men and women, a 5-kilometer race for schoolchildren, and a 4-kilometer race just for women. For the aforementioned run, the total prize money will be Rs 50,000 for a 12.5 Km run and Rs 22,000/- for runs by women and school children, respectively.
- Commemorating the glorious Victory of 1971 War of liberation, the Cultural Program at Victoria Memorial Hall will be a tribute to Indo- Bangladesh friendship.
Vijay Diwas 2022: How Bangladesh was Born In the 13-Day Indo-Pak War?
Pakistan Army had to surrender to India on 16th December 1971 due to the might and intelligence of the Indian Army in a short war of 13 days. Bangladesh was born as a gift in the war. Let’s know what was the incident-
- At the beginning of the year 1971, Pakistani military dictator Yahya Khan had put a state of war on March 25, 1971 by ordering the military forces to crush the public sentiments of Pakistan.
- Mujibur Rahman was arrested and there was an influx of refugees from East Pakistan coming to India.
- Pakistan’s army started to show off and India was under pressure to intervene militarily.
- The immediate prime minister, Indira Gandhi, took the opinion of the Chief of the Army Staff, General Manekshaw, about invading Pakistan in April. On the advice of Major General JFR Jacob, Manekshaw suggested fixing the time after the monsoon.
- On December 3, 1971, the Pakistan Air Force started bombing Pathankot, Srinagar, Amritsar, Jodhpur, Agra etc. military air bases.
- The Indian Army retaliated by capturing Jessore and Khulna.
- On 14 December, the Indian Army blew off the roof of the government building in Dhaka, where the secret meeting of the Pakistani Officials was going on.
- Immediate Army Major Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw sent Major General Jacob to Dhaka to arrange for the surrender by the Pakistan Army.
- Niyazi had 26400 soldiers in Dhaka while India had only 3000 soldiers 30 km away from Dhaka. Major General Jacob prepared General Niyazi to lay down arms.
- In the evening, Eastern Army Commander Lt. Gen. Jagjit Singh Arora and Niazi both signed the Instrument of Surrender by the Pakistan Army.
- With moist eyes, Niazi surrendered his revolver to General Arora. Angered by this, the local people got down to kill Niazi but the Indian Army safely drew Niazi out.
- On December 16, along with Pakistan’s General Niazi, about 93 thousand Pakistani soldiers laid down their arms in front of the Indian Army.
Indira Gandhi was given the news of the great victory won by General Manekshaw in Bangladesh. She was in the Parliament House at that time and she made the announcement of India’s victory. After this the whole country got immersed in celebration.
The Real Freedom
With such a great struggle for freedom recorded in our history books, we are definitely completely aware of the need for freedom. Although we aren’t aware about it completely, the reality is that we are entrapped here in the cycle of birth and death. And freeing oneself from it is what we call salvation. The prime goal of this human life is the salvation which can only be attained by worshiping Supreme God Kabir. The method of worship of which can only be revealed by taking Naam Diksha (Initiation) from a Complete Saint.
Presently Saint Rampal Ji Maharaj from Haryana, India is the only Complete Saint amongst all the Saints around. The rest are befooling innocent devotees in the name of their fake experiences that don’t match with the Holy Scriptures. So it is the need of the hour for us to understand this and get in the refuge of Saint Rampal Ji to get our welfare done.
How Can You Fight to Go Back to Your Real Country- Satlok?
The main aim of human life is to attain salvation. Salvation is the attainment of Satlok or Sanatan ParamDhaam as mentioned by Bhagwat Gita Ji. Satlok is the place where there is no sorrow, no grief, no pain, no sadness, no negativity. Satlok is the place of permanent happiness. Satlok is the ocean of happiness. Satlok can only be attained by true worship. True Worship of Satpurush or Param Akshar Brahma is the only way to attain Satlok. Satpurush Kabir Saheb ji is the Real God. The True and correct way of worship of God Kabir Saheb ji is given only by Sant Rampal Ji Maharaj currently in the whole world.
Take the Refuge of Tatvadarshi Sant Rampal Ji Maharaj
To get salvation from the 21 worlds of Kaal, come in the refuge of Tatvdarshi Sant Rampal Ji Maharaj and take Naam Diksha. By doing sadhana with dignity, one gets all the happiness in this life and after leaving the body, the soul departs to Satlok, where there is no rebirth after going.
FAQs About Vijay Diwas 2022
Vijay Diwas is celebrated on 16th December every year.
Vijay Diwas marks the bravery of The Indian Armed forces in the War of 1971. It is celebrated as the day on which Amir Abdullah Khan Niazi, the chief of Pakistan’s security forces, had to surrender to the Indian Army along with his 93,000 soldiers
On 16th December, the 13 day India Pakistan war came to an end. Amir Abdullah Khan Niazi, the chief of Pakistan’s security forces, had to surrender to the Indian Army along with his 93,000 soldiers