Rajiv Gandhi Death Anniversary 2022: Today is the death anniversary of former Prime Minister Bharat Ratna late Shri Rajiv Gandhi ji, the father of the information revolution of modern India, the architect of panchayati raj empowerment. On May 21, 1991, during the Lok Sabha election campaign, Gandhi was killed in a bomb blast at Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu. Rajiv Gandhi’s death anniversary is celebrated by the country as anti-terror day every year. There are many interesting facts about the life of Rajiv Gandhi, on his death anniversary, we tell you about.
Rajiv Gandhi Death Anniversary 2022: Highlights
- Rajiv Gandhi was assassinated on the night of May 21, 1991
- He was assassinated in a suicide bomb blast in Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu
- Rajiv’s death anniversary is celebrated as Anti-Terrorism Day
- He took the country’s Information technology to global heights during his political tenure
- Rajiv Gandhi was the last member of the Nehru-Gandhi family to serve as PM
- Rajiv Gandhi was also very fond of photography.
- Son Rahul Gandhi remembers – I am proud to be the son of a true patriot, generous and benevolent father
A brief Information about Rajiv Gandhi
The nation remembers former Prime Minister of the country Bharat Ratna Rajiv Gandhi on his death anniversary (May 21). Rajiv Gandhi was assassinated in a suicide bomb blast on the night of May 21, 1991, in Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu. He took the country’s Information technology to global heights during his political tenure.
Youngest Prime Minister of India
Rajiv Gandhi, 40, was given the charge of the post of PM within 24 hours after the assassination of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi in 1984. He was the seventh Prime Minister of the country. Rajiv became the youngest Prime Minister of India.
Rajiv Gandhi’s Biography
Former Prime Minister of India Bharat Ratna Rajiv Gandhi was born on August 20, 1944, and died on May 21, 1991. He was the eldest son of Indira Gandhi and Feroze Gandhi and the grandson of Jawaharlal Nehru. Rajiv Gandhi was married to an Italian citizen Antonia Mino, later her name was changed to Sonia Gandhi. Rajiv Gandhi studied at Cambridge. He and Sonia (Antonia Mino) have two children, son Rahul Gandhi was born in 1970 and daughter Priyanka Gandhi was born in 1972.
Honored with Highest Civilian Award
For his services to the nation, Rajiv Gandhi was honored with prestigious and the highest civilian honors, the “Bharat Ratna” in 1991.
Rajiv Gandhi Assassinated in 1991
On May 21, 1991, when Rajiv Gandhi was walking from the dais to address an election rally at Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu, a woman put a garland around his neck and a bomb exploded in no time. Rajiv Gandhi was killed along with the woman in the incident.
India-Sri Lanka agreement was the cause of death of former PM
- Riots broke out in Sri Lanka in July 1983 after the killing of 13 soldiers in which a large number of Tamils were killed and a state of civil war broke out.
- In 1987, a peace agreement was signed between India and Sri Lanka, which was signed by the then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
- Under the agreement, India was to send a military contingent called the Indian Peace Keeping Force to Sri Lanka, which was to surrender the LTTE.
- Initially, many of the LTTE surrendered, but within three weeks, the surrender stopped.
- Rajiv Gandhi has made peace with the Sri Lankan government.
- The discontent over the settlement of surrendered Tamils, handing over the weapons of surrender to the LTTE opponents, the demand for the release of the LTTE supporters arrested by the Sri Lankan Army, put the LTTE and the IPKF face to face.
- Sri Lanka army soldiers were being killed in Sri Lanka by the LTTE.
- In 1989, Delhi changed power and the new VP Singh government withdrew the IPKF from Sri Lanka.
- In August 1990, Rajiv Gandhi again supported the India-Sri Lanka Agreement and a united Sri Lanka.
- The LTTE felt that if Rajiv became prime minister again, their activism would be shattered, so the LTTE started plotting to assassinate him.
- Rajiv Gandhi was killed by a suicide squad at a meeting in Perambadur.
- LTTE chief Prabhakaran, LTTE intelligence unit chief Pottu Omman, women’s team chief Akila and Sivarasan hatched the conspiracy.
- In the first week of May 1991, as part of the suicide squad training, nine people, including human bomb Dhanu and Suba, were made to practice breaking the security cordon at VP Singh’s meeting in Madras.
- May 21 – During a Loksabha election campaign meeting, at the Sriperumbudur, Dhanu and Suba reached close to Rajiv Gandhi and carried out human bomb blast and the country lost its former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi.
Killer Perarivalan released after 30 years
The Supreme Court, in exercise of extraordinary powers under Article 142 of the Constitution, issued an order to release former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi’s assassin A.G. Perarivalan on 18 May 2022. Perarivalan was convicted along with three of his other accomplices in the former prime minister’s assassination case and had been serving a prison term for the past 30 years.
In May 1991, during an election rally, a woman blew herself up with a bomb, which claimed the life of the then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi. Later, Along with Perarivalan, Murugan, Santhan and Nalini were sentenced to life imprisonment.
The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award was renamed
The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna was renamed as the “Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna” by the present day NDA government. Prime Minister Narendra Modi took to Twitter on Aug 6, 2021 to announce the change of name in honor of the hockey wizard.
PM Modi said, “I have been getting many requests from citizens across India to name the Khel Ratna Award after Major Dhyan Chand. I thank them for their views. Respecting their sentiment, the Khel Ratna Award will hereby be called the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award!”
Quotes from Late Rajiv Gandhi
- “Development is not about factories, dams and roads. Development is about people. The goal is material, cultural and spiritual fulfillment for the people. The human factor is of supreme value in development.”
- “Women are the social conscience of a country. They hold our societies together.”
- “If farmers become weak the country loses self-reliance but if they are strong, freedom also becomes strong.”
- “A right value system must be built into our education system. We must be very clear that religion and politics must be separated and there must be a very clear definition of the difference between spirituality of the religion and its rituals and dogmas.”
- “The second point which must be part of the national goal, is casteless society.”
- “The fight against communal forces must be fought unitedly. We are the heirs to heritage of communal harmony.”
- “The terrorists are busy in and outside the country in such activities which are a danger to the unity and integrity of the country.”
- “Education must be a great equalizer in our society. It must be the tool to level the differences that our various social systems have created over the past thousands of years.”
- “Our task today is to bring India to the threshold of the twenty-first century, free of the burden of poverty, legacy of our colonial past, and capable of meeting the rising aspirations of our people.”
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About Rajiv Gandhi
Rajiv Ratna Gandhi (20 August 1944 – 21 May 1991) was an Indian politician who served as prime minister of India from 1984 to 1989.
Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi laid the foundation of a modern India. He left an imprint of modernity. Under his leadership the Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT) was established in August 1984, MTNL (Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited) was established In 1986 to spread the telephone network and established computerization.
Rajiv Gandhi lost the 1989 Indian general election due to fighting off scandals that had marred his administration.
What did Rajiv Gandhi miss to do?
Rajiv Gandhi had many qualities that a devotee should have. He did well in many areas where he targeted. He achieved the highest recognition in the nation. The pious soul tried to do his level best for humanity, but he did not find an enlightened saint who could have guided him for the right human life’s purpose. There are many unfortunate pious souls without achieving the right spiritual guide. The readers deserve to know the eternal truth, the Absolute,The eternal abode, and the path of devotion for salvation.
What should a pious soul do in human birth?
Jagatguru Tatvdarshi Saint Rampal Maharaj has unfolded the secret of human birth in His book ‘Way of Living’. Saint Rampal Ji Maharaj says that the Almighty Kabir Saheb dwells in the eternal abode -Satlok. At times He descends to earth on a lotus flower in the form of a child. He delivers sermons to pious souls and bestows with the true devotion called Sat-Bhakti.
The souls desirous of leaving this universe, bound by the Creative Energy ‘Maya’ and her companion Kaal Brahm, take naam initiation from Him or His saint. The devotee, upon recitation of the essence of the word (Satnam/ Sarnam), gets free from all sin deeds, enjoys all worldly essentials, and last but not the least the Salvation.
Kabir, Bhakti bhagavaan kee bahut baareek hai, sheesh saumpe bina bhakti naaheen.
Hoy avadhoot sab aasha tan kee tajai, jeevata marai so bhakti paahee.
Naachana koodana, taal ka peetana, raandiyaan ka khel hai bhakti naaheen.
Rain din taaree karataar son laagee rahai, kahai kabeer satalok jaahee.
(Source: Jagatguru Tatvdarshi Saint Rampal Maharaj’s book ‘Kabir Sagar Ka Saralarth’)
What should a Seeker do?
A seeker must read books of Jagatguru Enlightened Saint Rampal Maharaj and listen to His sermons. Download Sant Rampal Ji Maharaj App and Naam Diksha from the SatGuru and practice true devotion to attain pleasures and Salvation.