International Museum Day 2022 | International Museum Day (IMD) is observed every year on 18 May. This day is celebrated to focus on the prominence of museums. The International Council of Museums (ICOM)’s official website states, “Museums are an important means of cultural exchange, enrichment of cultures and development of mutual understanding, cooperation and peace among peoples.”
International Museum Day 2022: Highlights
- International Museum Day (IMD) is celebrated on 18 May every year
- IMD is celebrated since 1977
- IMD’s aim is to create awareness about the importance of Museums as a means of cultural exchange
- International Museum Day 2022 theme is “The Power of Museums”
- The theme highlights the power of achieving sustainability, the power of innovating on digitalization and accessibility, and the power of community building through education
What Is the Objective of International Museum Day (IMD)?
International Museum Day (IMD)’s objective is to highlight awareness about the importance of Museums as a means of cultural exchange, enrichment of cultures, and development of mutual understanding and cooperation. peace among peoples.
What Is Date of International Museum Day (IMD)?
International Museum Day (IMD) is observed on 18 May every year. The events and activities can be planned to celebrate the Day on a weekend or the whole week. Since 1977, IMD has been celebrated with the participation of more than 37,000 museums in about 158 countries and territories.
International Museum Day 2022 Theme
Year 2022’s theme for International Museum Day is ‘The Power of Museums’. The theme highlights the power of museums to transform the world. The International Museum Day 2022 will explore the potential of museums to create change in the communities through following aspects:
- The power of achieving sustainability: Museums play a significant role in the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals by partnering with the United Nations.
- The power of innovating on digitization and accessibility: Museums help audiences understand complicated and less understood concepts through propagating new technologies and digital innovation.
- The power of community building through education: Museums become an important link in community building through its educational programs.
History of International Museum Day
International Museum Day was organized for the first time by the International Council of Museums in 1977. A resolution for International Museum Day was adopted during ICOM General Assembly in Moscow, in the same year. However, the thought of celebrating an International Museum Day came first time in a meeting known as ‘Crusade for Museums,’ organized by ICOM in 1951.
Museums worldwide were invited to participate and promote the role of museums. The museums celebrate the event by organizing various activities around the theme.
Famous Museums Around the World
- Louver Museum Paris France
- State Russian Museum, St Petersburg
- British Museum, London
- Guggenheim Museum, New York
- Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam
- Museo Larco, Lima
- The Acropolis Museum, Athens
Famous Museums in India
- National Museum Delhi
- Shankar’s International Dolls Museum Delhi
- National Rail Museum Delhi
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Vastu Museum Mumbai
- Dr. Bhau Daji Lad Museum Mumbai
- Indian Museum Kolkata
- Government Museum Chennai
- Salar Jung Museum Hyderabad
- Calico Museum Ahmedabad
- Napier Museum Trivandrum
■ Also Read | Supreme God Kabir Sahib: The Father of All Souls
International Museum Day: Quotes on Museums
- “Museums are an important means of cultural exchange, enrichment of cultures and development of mutual understanding, cooperation and peace among peoples.” -ICOM
- “A country that has few museums is both materially poor and spiritually poor …museums, like theaters and libraries, are a means to freedom.” – Wendy Beckett
- “A visit to a museum is a search for beauty, truth, and meaning in our lives. Go to museums as often as you can.” – Maira Kalman
- “A museum is a spiritual place. People lower their voices when they get close to art.” – Mario Botta
- “The best introduction to art is to stroll through a museum. The more art you see, the more you’ll learn to define your own taste.” – Jeanne Frank
Frequently Asked Questions About International Museum Day 2022
IMD’s aim is to create awareness about the importance of Museums as a means of cultural exchange
As per ICOM, Museums are an important means of cultural exchange, enrichment of cultures and development of mutual understanding, cooperation and peace among peoples.
International Museum Day (IMD) is celebrated on 18 May every year
IMD is celebrated since 1977
The theme of International Museum Day 2022 is “The Power of Museums”