Last Updated on 3 December 2022, 4:40 PM IST: World Disability Day 2022: International Day of Persons With Disability (IDPD) is an international observation promoted by the UN since 1981. Its aim is to support the disables. Every year in the world, December 3 is celebrated as International Day of Disables (Divyang in India).
World Disability Day 2022: Highlights
- At the insistence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in India, this day is called Divyang Diwas.
- A topic is decided by the United Nations every year for World Disability Day.
- The 2022 Theme of the International Day of Disabled People is “Transformative solutions for inclusive development: the role of innovation in fuelling an accessible and equitable world”.
- The focus is on equalizing opportunities for the disabled in society, making people aware of their rights and improving their socio-economic status, along with focusing on their health like ordinary citizens.
Virtual Meeting on International Day of Persons with Disabilities By UN
In order to observe International Day of Persons with Disabilities, in the virtual meeting on December 5 2022 as per New York Timing (9:00 am – 12:00 pm) the theme will be on innovating and transforming solutions for the inclusive development covering three interactive dialogues, with 40 minutes of duration each. These will be:
- Innovation for disability inclusive development in employment (SDG8): In this dialogue, there will be a discussion on the links between employment, knowledge and skills which are required to access employment in an innovative, rapidly changing technological landscape for all.
- Innovation for disability inclusive development in reducing inequality (SDG10): This dialogue will work on reducing the gap both in public as well as private sector developing innovations, practical tools and so on to promote diversity in the workplace
- Innovation for disability inclusive development: Sport as an exemplar case: a sector where all of these aspects coalesce; sport as a good practice example and a site of innovation, employment and equity.
Theme of International day of persons with disability 2022
This year (2022) the theme is “Transformative solutions for inclusive development: the role of innovation in fuelling an accessible and equitable world“. This ensures to bring the changes worldwide in the lives of disabled people by providing the facilities in different sectors.
History of World Disability Day
Initially, the United Nations General Assembly declared 1981 as the International Year of Disabled Persons in 1976. Later, the US President Ronal Reagan did the same in 1981 on 6th of February. Then during the UNGA’s 37th plenary meeting, on October 4, 1992, the UNGA declared 1983-1992 as International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
Significance of International day of persons with disability
International day of persons with disability promotes the rights and the well being of the disabled people residing in every nook and corner of the world. This day not only raises awareness in the society about the hardships disabled people suffer politically, socially as well as economically but also makes disabled people feel the part of the society as others are.
Every year on December 3, WHO (World Health Organization) at the Headquarters in Geneva, organizes an event where it joins with other partners to discuss the obstacles disabled people face and their solutions, the achievements of WHO in this field and the resources for the disabled persons.
What is Disability?
It is the state of being unable to use a part of the body properly, usually because of injury or disease that can also be genetic. It can be of any type of impairment such as physically or mentally. Because of which a person finds difficulty in performing certain activities and remains detached from the world.
Types of Disabilities
There are numerous disabilities which are:-
- Physical Disability – This further can be classified as Loco-motor Disability, Leprosy Cured Person and Cerebral Palsy.
- Intellectual Disability. Specific Learning Disabilities, Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Mental Behaviour (Mental Illness)
- Disability caused due to Chronic Neurological Conditions such as- Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease
Note:- Out of all type of disabilities, Physical impairment is actually the most common disability in the US. 1 in 7 adults, that is to say 13.7%, have difficulties getting around, walking or climbing stairs.
What are the rights of disabled persons in India?
In the Constitution of India, persons with disabilities have the privilege or the right to live their lives fully.
- Person With Disabilities Act 1995: As per this Act, disabled people have the right to acquire both the preventive and promotional aspects of rehabilitation like education, employment and vocational training, reservation, research and manpower development and rehabilitation of persons with disability and unemployment allowances.
- Right against discrimination: The Article 15(2) says that not only physically but also mentally challenged people, can’t be denied access to public goods. Also, they need to be provided equal opportunities to prosper in life. Right to Health: Article 21 gives the right to life and personal liberty.
- RA 7277: This Act works for the Rehabilitation, Self-Development and Self-Reliance of Disabled persons and Their Integration into the Mainstream of society and for other purposes.
Why Are We Required to Help the People With Disabilities?
We need to help the disables for the sake of humanity or to create an awareness in the society about them.The purpose of this day is to change the behavior of people towards the disabled and make them aware of their rights.
According to WHO we need to help the disables because if we don’t then we wouldn’t be able to achieve the agenda of Sustainable development by 2030 to leave no one behind.
The contemporary situations were more deepening the inequalities, in the normal conditions disables were less likely to be given jobs, health care, education but now due to COVID-19 pandemic the situation for them has got more worsen as this leaves them totally alone.
Not Every Disability Is Visible
Not every disability is visible : If a person who can’t listen is standing in front of you then would you be able to judge he/she is impaired from listening? Definitely Not! In the same way there are many kinds of disabilities which grow very slowly in the person’s body and we remain unable to identify them i. e. fatigue, eyesight problem, depression (mental illness/aloofness) and many others are types of disability so this day focuses on creating an awareness among the people that anybody may get disability any time so we need to help those people and shouldn’t keep them apart of us. The aim is to make them feel more confident and normal.
How Is It Celebrated in India?
World Disability Day is celebrated in different ways throughout the world. Art exhibitions are held in India, where special artifacts made by the disabled are exhibited.
■ Also Read: International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
Apart from this, speech competition, group discussion, and skill demonstration programs are organized.
Declaration of Mr.Joseph Biden, The president of United States of America
On 2nd December 2022, there was a proclamation on International Day of Persons with Disabilities by the president of the USA.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim December 3, 2022, as International Day of Persons with Disabilities. I call on all Americans to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies, activities, and programs.
Supreme God Can Remove Physical Disability
Some are born perfect and some with inability. All of us are born here due to past sins and virtues. Some are born perfectly healthy, some with physical deficiency. But everyone’s purpose is to live life. The Complete God also corrects physical deficiency of His devotees by giving them True Devotion. If the seeker believes and surrenders to the Supreme God, then God changes their physical weakness/deficiency/disabilities into strength.
Whether a person is born healthy or with physical or mental disabilities, they should do the worship of the Supreme God in their only life to get rid of the disease of birth and death. Readers are requested to read the Holy Book ‘Way of Living‘ written by Spiritual Saint/Tatvadarshi/Master/Guru/JagatGuru Rampal Ji Maharaj ji to know the essence of this precious human birth.
FAQs about International Day of Persons With Disability
Ans:- International Day of Persons With Disability is celebrated every year on 3 December.
Ans:- This day not only raises awareness regarding the issues the disabled persons suffer throughout their lives but also makes disabled people know about their rights.
Ans:- The one who is not able to use a part of the body properly, usually because of injury or disease that can also be genetic
And:- The theme of the International Day of Disabled People is “Transformative solutions for inclusive development: the role of innovation in fuelling an accessible and equitable world”.