World Vegetarian Day is observed annually around the globe on October 1. It is a day of celebration established by the North American Vegetarian Society in 1977 and endorsed by the International Vegetarian Union in 1978, “To promote the joy, compassion and life-enhancing possibilities of vegetarianism.” It brings awareness to the ethical, environmental, health, and humanitarian benefits of a vegetarian lifestyle.
History of World Vegetarian Day
The World Vegetarian Day was established by the North American Vegetarian Society (NAVS) in 1977 and was further endorsed by the International Vegetarian Union in 1978. October 1 is set as the official date to commemorate World Vegetarian Day according to NAVS.
World Vegetarian Day initiates the month of October as Vegetarian Awareness Month, which ends with November 1, World Vegan Day, as the end of that month of celebration. Vegetarian Awareness Month has been known variously as “Reverence for Life” month, “Month of Vegetarian Food”, and more.
World Vegetarian Day 2021 Key Points
- Every year on 1 October, World Vegetarian Day is observed and celebrated to highlight the benefits of vegetarianism. It is also known asVegetarian Awareness Month.
- In 1977, World Vegetarian Day was founded and established by the North American Vegetarian Society (NAVS)
- The day was further recognised and endorsed in the year 1978 by International Vegetarian Union.
- NAVS was founded in 1974; it is a non-profit tax-exempt educational organisation which is based in the United States.
- The day aims to promote compassion, life-enhancing possibilities, and joy in eating vegetarian dishes.
- The two main motives two celebrate the World Vegetarian Day 2021
- To make people aware of the health benefits of a plant-based diet.
- To make them aware of the positive effects of vegetarianism on nature.
- #BeVegetarian tag has been trending at number 1 on Twitter all day.
- Must know about God’s constitution regarding our food.
How Is World Vegetarian Day Celebrated Across the World?
Local, regional, and national groups organize events to promote the desirability and benefits of vegetarian practices.
World Vegetarian Day 2021 Facebook Page Has Been Created
The World Vegetarian Day Facebook page has also been launched for Vegetarian Awareness Month in October. The Facebook post mentions that it is a great time to encourage friends and family to give a vegan diet a try. Some of the ideas shared by the Facebook post include: “inviting friends over for a vegan dinner; have a vegan potluck at work; take friends out to a vegan restaurant; discuss the many benefits of a vegan diet for health, saving animals and the planet.”
Vegetarian Diet Reduces Many Risks and Encourages People to Stay Healthy
- Reduce the risk of major killers such as heart disease, stroke and cancer.
- Provide a viable answer to feeding the world’s hungry through more efficient use of grains and other crops
- Save animals from suffering in factory-farm conditions and from the pain and terror of slaughter
- Conserve vital but limited freshwater, fertile topsoil and other precious resources
- Preserve irreplaceable ecosystems such as rainforests and other wildlife habitats
- Decrease greenhouse gases that are accelerating global warming
- Mitigate the ever-expanding environmental pollution of animal agriculture
God Ordered Living Beings to be Vegetarians in the Bible
Genesis 1:29 (KJV) – And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
■ Also Read: Stop Eating Meat-Eating Meat Is A Heinous Sin
God created this world, and we are God’s creation. Each soul in this universe is God’s beloved soul. God loves both human beings and animals alike.
Psalms 36:6 – thy righteousness is like the great mountains; thy judgments are a great deep: O Lord, thou preservest man and beast.
He is our father, creator so guess how a father could order one child to kill and eat another child? No. Right? So God never asked us to have flesh.
God Who Created the Universe Provided Herbs as Food
God created the universe within six days. He made us and provided food for everyone.
Bible Insists to Be Generous
Let’s not forget, Romans 14:20-21. It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor anything whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak. (Romans 14:21)
Means Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else which causes your brother sisters to fall. We must not stumble upon anyone for our sake.
What God has given us, when He made us, is significant. We must focus on that. Remember God never ordered humans to kill animals. He made seeds bearing plants and fruits, vegetables, and grains. Do not kill any animal.
Every soul belongs to God and He loves each and every child. God in the Bible asks to be vegetarian as he gave leafy plants and fruits for living beings. You can help to create a better world because vegetarian diets have proven health benefits, save animals’ lives and help to preserve the Earth. It is requested to all who believe in God to please follow the diet as instructed by God Himself and to understand this you can listen to the discourses of Saint Rampal ji Maharaj on Satlok Ashram YouTube channel