World Suicide Prevention Day 2020: Human Life is Very Precious
World Suicide Prevention Day is observed every year on September 10. The International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP) with the World Health Organization (WHO) commemorates the day. The aims are to generate awareness about the prevention of committing suicide.
World Suicide Prevention Day 2020 Highlights
- World Suicide Prevention Day observed every year on September 10
- COVID-19 pandemic made more than half of the population under distress
- The International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP) with the World Health Organization (WHO) commemorates the day
- The aims are to generate awareness about the prevention of committing suicide.
- WHO estimates one death every 40 seconds through suicide
- The second main reason for death among young individuals in 15-29 years of age
- Suicide is preventable through awareness and breaking down the taboo
- The life span is not unlimited; start Satbhakti right from childhood.
When is World Suicide Prevention Day (WSPD) Observed?
The International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP), in collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO), observes World Suicide Prevention Day every year on September 10.
What is the Aim of World Suicide Prevention Day (WSPD) 2020?
This day aims to generate awareness among people about the prevention of committing suicide.
What is the Current Suicide Scenario?
It is not that only poor people attempt suicide, but even wealthy people do. It means the life of the wealthy is painful too. The suicide rate is increasing at a rate of 30%, including women and teens. Read the NCRB’s 2019 statistics on this in this PDF.
All religions condemn suicide. WHO estimates about one death every 40 seconds totaling 800,000 people worldwide die due to committing suicide every year. Besides, for every death by suicide, there are many more people who attempt suicide every year. Suicide is the second main reason for death among young individuals 15-29 years of age. The most common practices of suicide are the ingestion of pesticides, hanging, and firearms globally.
Have the Coronavirus Outbreaks Worsened Depression?
In India, survey reports during the COVID-19 Pandemic lockdown situation have made more than half the population under distress. With time the society is feeling grab of anxiety due to consistent fall in the financial system, losing jobs, and deteriorating health care. The fatigue experienced for a reason of long working hours. All the issues climaxed to put immense pressure on the mental wellbeing of the people.
What is the World Suicide Prevention Day 2020 Theme?
The theme for WSPD 2020 is consistent as last year’s “Working Together to Prevent Suicide.” This theme is repeated for WSPD 2020, as it emphasizes the most vital factor for efficient global suicide prevention- ‘collaboration.’
How can the Public Contribute on This Day?
All sections of society can play a part in preventing suicide just by being compassionate and touching to others. As per IASP, the world community observed this day by performing over 300 activities in around 70 countries, comprising educational and commemorative events, press briefings, and conferences, as well as coverage on Twitter and Facebook.
Who can Contribute on This Day?
Everyone in the society as a family, including friends, co-workers, community members, educators, religious leaders, healthcare professionals, political people, officials, and governments, play a role together by taking action collectively for the challenges posed of increasing suicidal behavior. The awareness about the causes of suicide, warning signs for suicide, and care for those who are in distress can help to prevent suicides.
What are the Warning Signs of Suicide?
Some warning signs of suicide are as under:
- Uncontrolled anger
- Seeking revenge
- Acting reckless
- Engaging in risky activities
- Seemingly without thinking
- Feel stuck as if no way out
- Increased alcohol or drug use
- Withdrawing from friends, family & society
- Anxiety or Agitation
- Sleep disorders of excessively less or more
- Dramatic mood changes
What is the Remedy for Preventing Suicide?
Suicide is preventable. Awareness and breaking down the taboo are essential tools for preventing suicide. Whenever you smell such symptoms, you should sit with them, ask their whereabouts, and inspire them to speak their narrative. Your talk and attention to such people by listening with compassion, showing empathy, and help them in judgment help restore hope. This small gesture saves from taking an unwise step.
Remember your time to reach out to someone – a relative, colleague, team-mate, or even an unfamiliar person – could shift the way of another’s life. Moreover, ask them to listen to the Discourses of Saint Rampal Ji or give them His Book Way of Living. The Knowledge and the way of Worship given by Saint Rampal Ji have healed the wounds of millions. The Worship given by Saint Rampal Ji gives a devotee the Shelter of the Supreme God Kabir, who never let any mishap happen to His devotees. That’s what all of His devotees testify about in their testimonies.
What do World Religions Say About Suicide?
- Roman Catholic Church: Suicide is sin, which contravenes the directive “Thou shalt not kill.”
- Qur’an, Sura 4 (An-Nisa), ayat 29,30: “O you who have believed, do not consume one another’s wealth unjustly but only business by mutual consent. And do not kill yourselves. Indeed, God is to you ever Merciful. And whoever does that in anger and unfairness – then We will drive him into a Fire. And that, for God, is easy.”
- The hadiths: “Those who kill themselves undergo hellfire. And in hell, they will go on to cause pain on themselves, according to the method of their suicide.”
- The Jewish prohibit suicide, Genesis 9:5: “For your lifeblood, I will require a reckoning,” life belongs to God and is not yours to take.
- Hinduism: Atmahatya or Soul-killing generates a string of karmic consequences that inhibit the Soul from attaining Salvation. Hindu philosophy of birth and rebirth lingers Souls on the earth, and at times, trouble the living.
- Buddhism prohibits suicide, causes more suffering rather than alleviating, to abstain from taking life.
World Suicide Prevention Day 2020 Quotes
Why suicide, die from desires of the human body and the mortal world and attain The Absolute – Saint Rampal JiSaint Rampal Ji
By committing suicide you destroy your body, not sorrows. Sorrows originate from sins. Destroy your sins and sorrows by performing SatBhakti – Saint Rampal JiSaint Rampal Ji
The person who completes suicide dies once. Those left behind die a thousand deaths
The human birth is precious for attaining The Supreme, don’t waste it – Saint Rampal Ji
Even the deities crave for human birth – Saint Rampal JiSaint Rampal Ji
What is the View of the Creator of Universe Kabir Saheb?
The Creator of the Universe, The Supreme God Kavirdev, is popularly known as KabirSaheb, says that human birth is precious to attain Salvation. The life span is not unlimited; therefore, one should start Satbhakti right from childhood.
Kabir Saheb advises the human to behave as deceased (rather than suicide) from the mortal aspects of life.
Kabir Saheb says:
Kabir, mritak hoy ke khojhahin santaa, shabd bichaari gahai magu antaa.
Explanation: The devotee searches the Supreme God as if he is deceased and he learns the essence of the Word to achieve liberation from the mortal world.
The journey of a creature’s life begins from birth. His preferable destination is to the Eternal Abode away from the cycle of birth and death. In this way, sin and virtue are the pit and thorns of karma. If the human devotes, the Supreme God Kabir Sahib eliminates the hindrance of all sinful deeds. The way of living of that Soul becomes easy and hassle-free. He achieves his destination easily.
Kabir Saheb says:
Kabir, jab hee satyanaam hrday dharo, bhayo paap ko naash.
Jaise chingaaree agni kee, padai puraane ghaas.
Explanation: As soon as an enlightened Guru initiates the seeker with Satnam, he abolishes all (his) sin deeds. It is just like a spark of fire that burns the heap of dry grass
The human birth is precious for attaining The Supreme, which otherwise is not achievable in any other form of an organism. Even the deities crave for it.
Gareeb, is dehee koon deva lochain, toon nar kyaun ukalaata.
Nar dehee Naaraayan yehee, sanak sanandan saatha
The seeker should come in the refuge of Enlightened Saint Rampal Ji Maharaj and ensure Salvation by taking name-initiation. Watch Satlok Ashram YouTube Channel and read the Book Way of Living.
S A NEWS