Raja Ram Mohan Roy Jayanti (Birth Anniversary of Raja Ram Mohan Roy): Highlights
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy was born on 22nd May 1774.
- He was a great social reformer.
- He founded Brahmo Samaj.
- He abolished Sati pratha, child marriage, polygamy and many more evil practices.
- He is known as the ‘Father of Bengal Renaissance’.
- He knew several languages.He contributed to Indian literature a lot.
- He passed away on 27 September 1883.
- Spiritualism is the only way bringing equality and peace worldwide eradicating all evil practices.
Who Was Raja Ram Mohan Roy?
This year on 22nd May, it is the 249th birth anniversary of Raja Ram Mohan Roy. He belonged to a rich Hindu Brahmin family in Radhanagar village of Hooghly district in Bengal city. His father also was a great scholar named Ramakanto Roy. His mother’s name was Tarini Devi.
Interesting Facts About Raja Ram Mohan Roy
- Mughal emperor Akbar ll honoured Roy with the title Raja, since then he became famous as Raja Ram Mohan Roy.
- He married thrice. Two of them passed away early while the third one outlived him.
- He was a polyglot who knew several languages.
- Being a monotheist, he believed in one God opposing idol worship.
Contribution of Raja Ram Mohan Roy
- He formed an Atmiya Sabha.
- He translated Vedic scriptures and Upanishads into English.
- He founded Brahmo Samaj in 1828.
- He abolished numerous evil practices during the 18th and 19th century.
- He abolished Sati pratha.
- In 1822, he founded the ‘Sambad Koumudi’ newspaper.
- He published Mirat-ul-Akbar journal in Persian language.
- He established various colleges.
Religious Reforms by Raja Ram Mohan Roy
- In 1822, he founded Sambad Koumudi newspaper.
- He published a Mirat-ul-Akbar journal in Persian language that helped people to form their opinion on several issues during the regime of East India Company.
- He established the first Bengali language newspaper.
- He founded an Atmiya Sabha (friendly association) society to discuss and translate Vedas and Upanishads.
- He led the foundation of Brahmo Samaj that emphasized human dignity, and criticised idolatry.
Educational Reforms by Raja Ram Mohan Roy
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy established the first English school in 1816.
- He established Hindu College at Calcutta in 1817 for the reforms in Hindu Society that was also known as Young Bengal Movement.
- He was in favour of teaching Mathematics, Geography and Latin instead of focusing on Sanskrit only. This promoted these courses. He believed that these languages are vital for the development of any country.
- He established Vedanta College to propagate Hindu monotheism ideology. He was against idol worship and emphasized on worshipping one God.
Social Reforms by Raja Ram Mohan Roy
One of his prominent works was the abolition of Sati Pratha in which the widow was forced to burn alive on the pyre of her husband’s dead body.
- In 1829, due to his efforts, Lord William Bentick passed a law to stop the Sati Pratha system.
- He raised his voice against idol worship opposing the principle of Trinity.
- He opposed Caste system, Child marriage, widow re-marriage.
- He uplifted the condition of women by emphasising on women education.
Slogan of Raja Ram Mohan Roy
He rejected the doctrine of the Trinity and had amonotheism approach that believed in a single, unitarian God. The same reflects from one of his slogans also. It is:-
“God is one. He has no end. He exists in all the living things on the Earth.”
Who Is That One God?
Raja Ram Mohan Roy had a huge contribution in bringing changes in India. He was an eminent and a down to earth personality who really wanted to make everyone live equally. Also, he believed in one God but in ignorance remained unaware of who is the Supreme Power.
There is one only Supreme Power above all Who created this universe.
Gita ji Adhyay 18 Shloka 66 states that by going into the refuge of Supreme God Kabir, we will be freed from our sins.
Who Is the True Saint?
At present, Saint Rampal Ji Maharaj is the only True Saint. He only provides the devotion mentioned in our scriptures. By reciting the True Mantras, one can be free from the cycle of 84 lakh births. Kabir Sahib Ji also mentioned about the identity of True Saint in one of His verses:
Sadh sadh sb nek hain, Aap aapni thaur |
Jo Satlok le jayenge, Ve Sadhu koi aur ||
So take advantage of this precious human birth by taking refuge in Saint Rampal Ji Maharaj. For more information, visit www.jagatgururampalji.org
Raja Ram Mohan Roy Jayanti Quotes
- “It is necessary that some changes should take place in religion.”
- “To abuse and insult is inconsistent with reason and justice.”
- “Truth and Virtue do not belong to wealth and power and distinctions of big mansions.”
- “Long run reforms can be possible by attaining true devotion.”
- “Peace, Equality, brotherhood with the blessings of Supreme Power Kabir Sahib Ji.”
- “Saint Rampal Ji Maharaj is the one who provides true devotion that will lead to salvation (moksha)”.